I am preparing a presentation in latex using the beamer package. I am wondering what font size "pros" who give a lot of presentations use to make sure people in the back of the room can see. The default font size seems a bit small to me.
I am preparing a presentation in latex using the beamer package. I am wondering what font size "pros" who give a lot of presentations use to make sure people in the back of the room can see. The default font size seems a bit small to me.
The font should be generously large, so that everyone can see it: for typical talk situations font size is not the main constraint, but amount of information being displayed per size.
The advice I generally heard has been to have very few slides with more than 10 to 12 lines of content on them, including the slides heading. The beamer manual suggests that its default of an 11pt font (onto a quite small page, so this is not as small as it sounds) leads to a maximum of around 20 lines on the page, which seems to be rather too high.
By contrast Powerpoint uses a default font size of 17pt, which gives much better amount of information, but often seems to lead, to my taste, to somewhat bombastic presentations.
The middle of this range, around 14pt, seems a good median.
Some further considerations:
When making a presentation your concern should be the readability of projected text. Terms such as 12pt, 16pt are really for type on paper. When projected your text might be 10cm in x-height on the screen in a large hall. There is no good alternative to rehearsing in the room you will be making the presentation in, and checking the legibility of text from the furthest seats.
There are a lot of factors which make rules about type on paper inadequate for guidance on type on a screen. Some of these are:
This will vary greatly on your screen resolution and on the size of the projection screen.
Charles and I clearly disagree! I've just beamer a fair few times for talks and just left the default sizings as they were and got good results. I believe Beamer is designed with a similar mindset to LaTeX: it uses defaults that are good enough for the intended use.
In my talks, I use Futura as my main font, which is very readable at large sizes. Relevant bits of my standard preamble follow. (I use xelatex btw, which makes font switching much easier)
\usetheme{Copenhagen}
\usefonttheme[onlymath]{serif}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setsansfont[Ligatures={Common}]{Futura}
\setmonofont[Scale=0.8]{Monaco}