nginx and auth_basic

Viewed 47666

I am trying to get basic authentication working with nginx in Ubuntu Jaunty. In nginx.conf, I added these two lines under the server context:

server {
   ...
   auth_basic "Restricted Access";
   auth_basic_user_file /etc/nginx/.htpasswd;
   ...
}

Then I apt-get'ed apache2-utils to get htpasswd, which I used to create the htpasswd file:

htpasswd -d -c /etc/nginx/.htpasswd joe

When I try to access the site, the authentication dialog comes up as expected, but when I put in the username and password, it just refreshed the dialog box. It doesn't seem to like the password I am providing it. I tried running htpasswd both with and without the -d option, but still no luck. It refused to authenticate. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Answers

nginx recognize 401 response as logout, make sure your site is not returning 401 and redirecting again, it will fall into infinite login loop as logged in -> 401 -> logged out -> redirect to same page -> repeat

Related