DOS: find a string, if found then run another script

Viewed 112499

I want to find a string in a file using DOS:

For example

find "string" status.txt

And when it is found, I want to run a batch file.

What is the best way to do this?

6 Answers

It's been awhile since I've done anything with batch files but I think that the following works:

find /c "string" file
if %errorlevel% equ 1 goto notfound
echo found
goto done
:notfound
echo notfound
goto done
:done

This is really a proof of concept; clean up as it suits your needs. The key is that find returns an errorlevel of 1 if string is not in file. We branch to notfound in this case otherwise we handle the found case.

C:\test>find /c "string" file | find ": 0" 1>nul && echo "execute command here"

That's more straightforward:

find /c "string" file
if %errorlevel% not equ 1 goto something
Related