How do I configure capistrano to use my rvm version of Ruby

Viewed 26657

Does anybody know how I can tell capistrano to use my default rvm version of ruby for on the server I am pushing to. It insists on using the system version.

Is it even possible?

6 Answers

You have two options:

  1. Enable .ssh environment variables using the PermitUserEnvironment option in your ssh configuration file
  2. Use the capistrano :default_environment setting

For the second option, simply add the following line in your deploy.rb file

set :default_environment, { 
  'PATH' => "/path/to/.rvm/ree-1.8.7-2009.10/bin:/path/to/.rvm/gems/ree/1.8.7/bin:/path/to/.rvm/bin:$PATH",
  'RUBY_VERSION' => 'ruby 1.8.7',
  'GEM_HOME' => '/path/to/.rvm/gems/ree/1.8.7',
  'GEM_PATH' => '/path/to/.rvm/gems/ree/1.8.7' 
}

To get the accurate locations have a look at cat ~/.rvm/default

If your rvm version is recent on both development and production machines add this to your deploy.rb:

set :rvm_ruby_string, '1.9.2@yourapp' # you probably have this already
set :rvm_type, :user # this is the money config, it defaults to :system

I found out the easiest way is to add the version you want. Just add

ruby-2.5.0

string (or the version you want) into .ruby-version in the root folder. No need to configure deploy.rb or some rather hacky solutions.

For rbenv, don't forget to change set :rbenv_ruby, "3.0.0" in Capfile :)

Related