Is there any XPath processor for SAX model?

Viewed 30486

I'm looking for an XPath evaluator that doesn't rebuild the whole DOM document to look for the nodes of a document: actually the object is to manage a large amount of XML data (ideally over 2Gb) with SAX model, which is very good for memory management, and give the possibility to search for nodes.

Thank you all for the support!

For all those who say it's not possible: I recently, after asked the question, found a project named "saxpath" (http://www.saxpath.org/), but I can't find any implementing project.

13 Answers

Sorry, a slightly late answer here - it seems that this is possible for a subset of XPath - in general it's very difficult due to the fact that XPath can match both forwards and backwards from the "current" point. I'm aware of two projects that solve it to some degree using state machines: http://spex.sourceforge.net & http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/xsq. I haven't looked at them in detail but they seem to use a similar approach.

Related