Mocking an NHibernate ISession with Moq

Viewed 15063

I am starting a new project with NHibernate, ASP.NET MVC 2.0 and StructureMap and using NUnit and Moq for testing. For each of my controllers I have a single public constructor into which an ISession is being injected. The application itself works just fine, but in terms of unit testing I essentially have to mock an ISession in order to test the controllers.

When I attempt to Mock the ISession with MOQ i get the following error message:

Only property accesses are supported in intermediate invocations

It appears that my problem is expecting List of users from the framework CreateQuery method but after googling the issue I am now clearer.

I have two questions:

1) Is this the WRONG way to mock dependency injection of an ISession

2) Is there a way to modify the code so that it can successfully return my list

            [Test]
            public void DummyTest()
            {

                var mock = new Mock<ISession>();
                var loc = new Mock<User>();
                loc.SetupGet(x => x.ID).Returns(2);
                loc.SetupGet(x => x.FirstName).Returns("John");
                loc.SetupGet(x => x.LastName).Returns("Peterson");

                var lst = new List<User> {loc.Object};
                mock.Setup(framework => framework.CreateQuery("from User").List<User>()).Returns(lst);

                var controller = new UsersController(mock.Object);
                var result = controller.Index() as ViewResult;
               Assert.IsNotNull(result.ViewData);
            }

Please note, I am pretty sure I could just create a hard-coded list of users (rather than mocking an individual User and adding it to a list) but figured I'd leave the code as I have it right now.

Also, the Index action of this particular controller essentially executes the CreateQuery call mimicked above to return all users in the database. This is a contrived example - don't read anything into the details.

Thanks in advance for your help

Edit: In reply to the below comment, I am adding the stacktrace for the error. Also, all properties on the User class are virtual.

TestCase 'Beta.Tests.Unit.Controllers.UserControllerTest.Details_InValidIndex_ReturnsNotFoundView' failed: System.NotSupportedException : Only property accesses are supported in intermediate invocations on a setup. Unsupported expression framework.CreateQuery("from User"). at Moq.Mock.AutoMockPropertiesVisitor.VisitMethodCall(MethodCallExpression m) at Moq.ExpressionVisitor.Visit(Expression exp) at Moq.Mock.AutoMockPropertiesVisitor.VisitMethodCall(MethodCallExpression m) at Moq.ExpressionVisitor.Visit(Expression exp) at Moq.Mock.AutoMockPropertiesVisitor.SetupMocks(Expression expression) at Moq.Mock.GetInterceptor(LambdaExpression lambda, Mock mock) at Moq.Mock.<>c__DisplayClass122.<Setup>b__11() at Moq.PexProtector.Invoke[T](Func1 function) at Moq.Mock.Setup[T1,TResult](Mock mock, Expression1 expression) at Moq.Mock1.Setup[TResult](Expression`1 expression) Controllers\UserControllerTest.cs(29,0): at Beta.Tests.Unit.Controllers.UserControllerTest.Details_InValidIndex_ReturnsNotFoundView()

2 Answers
Related