Does RubyMine 2.0 earn its $99 as a Rails IDE?

Viewed 8381

I've seen a lot of blogs talk about RubyMine lately, as a best of breed Rails IDE. Currently, I am using NetBeans IDE for my Ruby and Rails stuff, but I was wondering if anyone here would personally recommend this IDE, and reasons why I should fork out $99 for it.

14 Answers

I've used Netbeans for a while(1+ year) now. and have tried RadRails too. but i choose RubyMine cause:

  • the base IDE is very solid and has a ton of plugins
  • it's generally more intelligent and have good refactoring abilities.
  • it supports a good number of other frameworks and technologies outside ruby and rails (like SaaS, haml, cucumber, shouldr, rspec...etc).
  • it supports my favorite version control system: git.

all in all i think if you take some time to learn its key mappings, you can be very productive with it. you wouldn't need to use a shell at all(well sometimes you might need to but...you get the idea).

just my 2 cents

I am a former NetBeans user. I LOVE RubyMine! It has excellent rvm, git, Rspec and cucumber integration, all of which are in my stack. Go with it. You won't be sorry.

I used both Redmine and Textmate but I tend to spend more time coding in textmate. It's a matter of preference whatever gets the job done quicker is the best tool in my opinion.

Good Luck @johnrlive

Related