SQL not a single-group group function

Viewed 283203

When I run the following SQL statement:

SELECT MAX(SUM(TIME))
FROM downloads
GROUP BY SSN

It returns the maximum sum value of downloads by a customer, however if I try to find the social security number that that max value belongs to by adding it to the select statement:

SELECT SSN, MAX(SUM(TIME))
FROM downloads
GROUP BY SSN

I get the following error:

not a single-group group function

I do not understand why it is throwing this error. A google search came up with the following action:

Drop either the group function or the individual column expression from the SELECT list or add a GROUP BY clause that includes all individual column expressions listed

From what I think this is saying - dropping the group function makes the sum value invalid - droping the individual column expression (SSN) will just give me the max sum - not sure about that third part.

Could anyone guide in the right direction?

-Tomek

EDIT: TIME in this database refers to the number of times downloaded

3 Answers
Related