How to get a List<string> collection of values from app.config in WPF?

Viewed 187222

The following example fills the ItemsControl with a List of BackupDirectories which I get from code.

How can I change this so that I get the same information from the app.config file?

XAML:

<Window x:Class="TestReadMultipler2343.Window1"
    xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
    xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
    Title="Window1" Height="300" Width="300">
    <Grid Margin="10">
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="30"/>
            <RowDefinition Height="Auto"/>
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>
        <Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="120"/>
            <ColumnDefinition Width="160"/>
        </Grid.ColumnDefinitions>
        <TextBlock 
            Grid.Row="0"
            Grid.Column="0"
            Text="Title:"/>
        <TextBlock 
            Grid.Row="0"
            Grid.Column="1" 
            Text="{Binding Title}"/>
        <TextBlock 
            Grid.Row="1"
            Grid.Column="0"
            Text="Backup Directories:"/>
        <ItemsControl 
            Grid.Row="1"
            Grid.Column="1"
            ItemsSource="{Binding BackupDirectories}"/>
    </Grid>
</Window>

code-behind:

using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Windows;
using System.Configuration;
using System.ComponentModel;

namespace TestReadMultipler2343
{
    public partial class Window1 : Window, INotifyPropertyChanged
    {

        #region ViewModelProperty: Title
        private string _title;
        public string Title
        {
            get
            {
                return _title;
            }

            set
            {
                _title = value;
                OnPropertyChanged("Title");
            }
        }
        #endregion

        #region ViewModelProperty: BackupDirectories
        private List<string> _backupDirectories = new List<string>();
        public List<string> BackupDirectories
        {
            get
            {
                return _backupDirectories;
            }

            set
            {
                _backupDirectories = value;
                OnPropertyChanged("BackupDirectories");
            }
        }
        #endregion

        public Window1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
            DataContext = this;

            Title = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings.Get("title");

            GetBackupDirectoriesInternal();
        }

        void GetBackupDirectoriesInternal()
        {
            BackupDirectories.Add(@"C:\test1");
            BackupDirectories.Add(@"C:\test2");
            BackupDirectories.Add(@"C:\test3");
            BackupDirectories.Add(@"C:\test4");
        }

        void GetBackupDirectoriesFromConfig()
        {
            //BackupDirectories = ConfigurationManager.AppSettings.GetValues("backupDirectories");
        }


        #region INotifiedProperty Block
        public event PropertyChangedEventHandler PropertyChanged;

        protected void OnPropertyChanged(string propertyName)
        {
            PropertyChangedEventHandler handler = PropertyChanged;

            if (handler != null)
            {
                handler(this, new PropertyChangedEventArgs(propertyName));
            }
        }
        #endregion

    }
}

app.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="title" value="Backup Tool" />
    <!--<add key="backupDirectories">
      <add value="C:\test1"/>
      <add value="C:\test2"/>
      <add value="C:\test3"/>
      <add value="C:\test4"/>
    </add>-->
  </appSettings>
</configuration>
8 Answers

Found this thread when searching for how to get a list from appsettings.json.

{
  "foo": {
    "bar": [
      "1",
      "2",
      "3"
    ]
  }
}

There you can do it like this:

Configuration.GetSection("foo:bar").Get<List<string>>()

Source:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/42296371/3850405

Thank for the question. But I have found my own solution to this problem. At first, I created a method

    public T GetSettingsWithDictionary<T>() where T:new()
    {
        IConfigurationRoot _configurationRoot = new ConfigurationBuilder()
        .AddXmlFile($"{Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location}.config", false, true).Build();

        var instance = new T();
        foreach (var property in typeof(T).GetProperties())
        {
            if (property.PropertyType == typeof(Dictionary<string, string>))
            {
                property.SetValue(instance, _configurationRoot.GetSection(typeof(T).Name).Get<Dictionary<string, string>>());
                break;
            }

        }
        return instance;
    }

Then I used this method to produce an instance of a class

var connStrs = GetSettingsWithDictionary<AuthMongoConnectionStrings>();

I have the next declaration of class

public class AuthMongoConnectionStrings
{
    public Dictionary<string, string> ConnectionStrings { get; set; }
}

and I store my setting in App.config

<configuration>    
  <AuthMongoConnectionStrings
  First="first"
  Second="second"
  Third="33" />
</configuration> 
Related