Best practice: ordering of public/protected/private within the class definition?

Viewed 82165

I am starting a new project from the ground up and want it to be clean / have good coding standards. In what order do the seasoned developers on here like to lay things out within a class?

A : 1) public methods 2) private methods 3) public vars 4) private vars

B : 1) public vars 2) private vars 3) public methods 4) private methods

C : 1) public vars 2) public methods 3) private methods 4)private vars

I generally like to put public static vars at the top, but then would a public static method be listed ahead of your constructor, or should the constructor always be listed first? That sort of thing...

I know it's finnicky but I just wondered: what are best practices for this?

PS: no I don't use Cc#. I know. I'm a luddite.

10 Answers

The sequence of public followed by protected and private is more readable to me, It's better to describe the class logic in comments at top of the header file simply and function call orders to understand what a class dose and algorithms used inside.

I am using Qt c++ for a while and see some new sort of keywords like signal and slot I prefer to keep ordering like above and share my idea with you here.

#ifndef TEMPLATE_H
#define TEMPLATE_H


class ClassName
{
    Q_OBJECT
    Q_PROPERTY(qreal startValue READ startValue WRITE setStartValue)
    Q_ENUMS(MyEnum)

public:

    enum MyEnum {
        Hello = 0x0,
        World = 0x1
    };

    // constructors

    explicit ClassName(QObject *parent = Q_NULLPTR);
    ~ClassName();

    // getter and setters of member variables

    // public functions (normal & virtual) -> orderby logic

public slots:

signals:

protected:

    // protected functions it's rule followed like public functions


private slots:

private:

    // methods

    // members

};

#endif // TEMPLATE_H
Related