Choosing a Windows automation scripting language. AutoIt vs Autohotkey

Viewed 93366

I need to choose a Windows automation scripting language. Which one do you recommend; AutoIt, AutoHotkey, or an other?

I have read "An AutoIt / AutoHotkey comparison". Interesting history, but without recommendation. Searching Google leaves around 312k hits for AutoHotkey Windows vs 482k for AutoIt Windows. On Stack Overflow there are 15 questions tagged vs 18 .

I am interested in your opinion as programmers. Which one do you think is easier to use, more deployable and more powerful in terms of functionality? I have already used AutoHotkey for personal use, so my initial preference is for this.

7 Answers

I use both depending on the situation. AutoHotkey is nice for quick keystroke macros and AutoIt has a much broader range of automation functionality and user-defined functions (UDFs) allow a range of useful things such as XML and database interaction. When automation requires a lot of GUI interaction I use AutoIt.

I worked with AutoHotkey and thought the language was difficult. I suppose it is either an acquired taste or some people have affinity for it. I was a long-time Perfect Keyboard user but am now a huge fan of AutoIt.

Though it is Basic-like I can still write "C" -like programs which is most comfortable for me. And the libraries for AutoIt, what a time saver. For example, the library for IE has a lot of great and useful functions. Good IDE and active user community.

My vote is with AutoIt.

Related