Is semantic markup too open-ended?

Viewed 2732

I am taking a peek at Dive Into HTML5. It seems nice and interesting, but I am puzzled.

In the 1990s, at the time when Netscape was the browser and HTML was HTML2 or HTML3, there were a lot of tags: address, cite, code... Most of them are unused as of today, probably even obsolete.

HTML5 introduces tags to express "semantic meaning" to the tag itself. This is all fun and games, but I see something very strange in this approach. Technically, the semantics can be very open ended. HTML5 has tags for article, time, navigation bars, footer. Why shouldn't it contain tags for post icon, author's place, name and surname, or whatever else you want to assign specific semantics to (I'm confident <rant> and <nsfw> would be very important tags): ? I thought XML was the strategy to assign semantics to stuff. Nothing forbids you to put an XML chunk under a XHTML div element, and assign a stylesheet to it so to style it properly, or to delegate to the proper viewer the handling of that namespace (for example, when handling RSS or SVG).

In conclusion, I don't understand the reason behind this extensions focused towards semantics, when it's clear that semantic is a very broad topic, which is guaranteed to require a potentially infinite amount of semantic tags. Since I am pretty sure there are clever people at W3C, I think I'm wrong, but I'd like to know why.

10 Answers

I've been reading Andy Clark's book Transcending CSS (page 33).

...,it is now widely accepted that presentational names such as header, left, or red that describe an element's look or position are poor choices.

After reading these lines I asked myself: hey, aren't there elements in HTML5 spec such as header, footer?? Why is footer more semantic ? Andy in his book advocates to use site-info for the ID of the footer div and this makes more sense IMHO. Footer is a presentational name (describes the element's position).

Related