I have cloned my git repository over ssh. So, each time I communicate with the origin master by pushing or pulling, I have to reenter my password. How can I configure git so that I do not need to enter my password multiple times?
I have cloned my git repository over ssh. So, each time I communicate with the origin master by pushing or pulling, I have to reenter my password. How can I configure git so that I do not need to enter my password multiple times?
If you have cloned using HTTPS (recommended) then:-
git config --global credential.helper cache
and then
git config --global credential.helper 'cache --timeout=2592000'
timeout=2592000 (30 Days in seconds) to enable caching for 30 days (or whatever suits you).
Now run a simple git command that requires your username and password.
Enter your credentials once and now caching is enabled for 30 Days.
Try again with any git command and now you don't need any credentials.
For more info:- Caching your GitHub password in Git
Note : You need Git 1.7.10 or newer to use the credential helper. On system restart, we might have to enter the password again.
Update #1:
If you are receiving this error git: 'credential-cache' is not a git command. See 'get --help'
then replace git config --global credential.helper 'cache --timeout=2592000'
with git config --global credential.helper 'store --file ~/.my-credentials'
Update #2:
If you keep getting the prompt of username and password and getting this issue:
Logon failed, use ctrl+c to cancel basic credential prompt.
Reinstalling the latest version of git worked for me.
Update #3:
Password authentication is temporarily disabled as part of a brownout. Please use a personal access token instead.
git config --global --unset credential.helpergit config --global credential.helper 'store --file ~/.my-credentials'username & password and enter token instead of password.