How many socket connections can a web server handle?

Viewed 143325

Say if I was to get shared, virtual or dedicated hosting, I read somewhere a server/machine can only handle 64,000 TCP connections at one time, is this true? How many could any type of hosting handle regardless of bandwidth? I'm assuming HTTP works over TCP.

Would this mean only 64,000 users could connect to the website, and if I wanted to serve more I'd have to move to a web farm?

8 Answers

in case of the IPv4 protocol, the server with one IP address that listens on one port only can handle 2^32 IP addresses x 2^16 ports so 2^48 unique sockets. If you speak about a server as a physical machine, and you are able to utilize all 2^16 ports, then there could be maximum of 2^48 x 2^16 = 2^64 unique TCP/IP sockets for one IP address. Please note that some ports are reserved for the OS, so this number will be lower. To sum up:

1 IP and 1 port --> 2^48 sockets

1 IP and all ports --> 2^64 sockets

all unique IPv4 sockets in the universe --> 2^96 sockets

Related