Git svn clone: How to defer fetch of revision history

Viewed 16041

I often have the case that I want to work on a SVN repository right away. But an ordinary git svn clone [url] also clones the entire history. So I want to speed things up. The first part is to fetch only the last revision into your Git repository. I do it like so:

URL=http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
REV=`svn info $URL |grep Revision: | awk '{print $2}'`
PROJECT_FOLDER=google-web-toolkit-readonly

git svn clone -r$REV:HEAD $URL $PROJECT_FOLDER

(more info in the StackOverflow article: "How to git-svn clone last n revisions from svn"

This way I'm up and running and can work immediately. But without local copy of the history.

The question is, how do I afterwards fetch history from the svn repository?

And preferably, can this be done in chunks of, say 1000 revisions (in reverse order). Any help here would be greatly appreciated :)

3 Answers

git svn fetch appears to "remember" the revisions it's seen previously. I've been having success with doing ranges:

git svn fetch -r 0:100
git svn fetch -r 100:200
git svn fetch -r 4500
git svn rebase
git svn fetch -r 200:300

I fetched the most recent revisions and then started "filling in" the gaps. It seems to work fine.

Jesper -- if your repository doesn't have a revision 1000, then there's nothing for it to fetch. Make sure the revision numbers you're using are valid!

Related