Get directory contents in date modified order

Viewed 23763

Is there an method to get the contents of a folder in a particular order? I'd like an array of file attribute dictionaries (or just file names) ordered by date modified.

Right now, I'm doing it this way:

  • get an array with the file names
  • get the attributes of each file
  • store the file's path and modified date in a dictionary with the date as a key

Next I have to output the dictionary in date order, but I wondered if there's an easier way? If not, is there a code snippet somewhere which will do this for me?

Thanks.

5 Answers

It's too slow

[[NSFileManager defaultManager]
                                attributesOfItemAtPath:NSFileModificationDate
                                error:&error];

Try this code:

+ (NSDate*) getModificationDateForFileAtPath:(NSString*)path {
    struct tm* date; // create a time structure
    struct stat attrib; // create a file attribute structure

    stat([path UTF8String], &attrib);   // get the attributes of afile.txt

    date = gmtime(&(attrib.st_mtime));  // Get the last modified time and put it into the time structure

    NSDateComponents *comps = [[NSDateComponents alloc] init];
    [comps setSecond:   date->tm_sec];
    [comps setMinute:   date->tm_min];
    [comps setHour:     date->tm_hour];
    [comps setDay:      date->tm_mday];
    [comps setMonth:    date->tm_mon + 1];
    [comps setYear:     date->tm_year + 1900];

    NSCalendar *cal = [NSCalendar currentCalendar];
    NSDate *modificationDate = [[cal dateFromComponents:comps] addTimeInterval:[[NSTimeZone systemTimeZone] secondsFromGMT]];

    [comps release];

    return modificationDate;
}
Related