python refresh/reload

Viewed 108321

This is a very basic question - but I haven't been able to find an answer by searching online.

I am using python to control ArcGIS, and I have a simple python script, that calls some pre-written code.

However, when I make a change to the pre-written code, it does not appear to result in any change. I import this module, and have tried refreshing it, but nothing happens.

I've even moved the file it calls to another location, and the script still works fine. One thing I did yesterday was I added the folder where all my python files are to the sys path (using sys.append('path') ), and I wonder if that made a difference.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the sloppy terminology.

7 Answers

The cases will be different for different versions of python. Following shows an example of python 3.4 version or above:

hello import hello_world
#Calls hello_world function
hello_world()
HI !!
#Now changes are done and reload option is needed
import importlib
importlib.reload(hello)
hello_world()
How are you?

For earlier python versions like 2.x, use inbuilt reload function as stated above. Better is to use ipython3 as it provides autoreload feature.

Related