What's a good solution for collecting business rule documentation?

Viewed 2990

I'm running into a situation, common I'm sure, where my business rule documentation is spread across emails, documentation (now out of date) and IMs. This stinks.

I can think of 2 alternatives: Sharepoint (hate it, the search feature is terrible) or a wiki.

Some things that I'd like to see in the ideal solution:

  • Easily updateable: don't make me pull up Word to update the docs
  • Diff view: Sometimes you only need to see what's new
  • Subscribable: Notification of new changes on a page by page basis
  • Role based: Editing and viewing of pages can be tied to roles
  • Attachments: Easy inclusion of mockups, files etc.
  • Search: It's a post google world, I want to be able to search and find instantly -- Sharepoint loses in this category, unless the one we use is configured incorrectly
  • Attachment Restriction: Ideally, the solution would not allow uploading of a bunch of Word docs that we'd then call our documentation. I'd like the documentation to have a consistent (and simple) format. Enforcing attachments as PDF, txt and so on.

Following up on my wiki comment it looks like there are at least 3 wikis that do what I want (Incentive, SharePoint-Wiki-Plus, ThoughtFarmer). ThoughtFarmer, love that name.

6 Answers
Related