Code sign error with Xcode 3.2

Viewed 57990

I had a fully working build environment before upgrading to iPhone OS 3.1 and Xcode 3.2. Now when I try to do a build, I get the following:

Code Sign error: Provisioning profile 'FooApp test' specifies the Application Identifier 'no.fooapp.iphoneapp' which doesn't match the current setting 'TGECMYZ3VK.no.fooapp.iphoneapp'

The problem is that Xcode somehow manages to think that the "FooApp Test" provisioning profile specifies the Application Identifier "no.fooapp.iphoneapp", but this is not the case.

In the Organizer (and in the iPhone developer portal website) the app identifier is correctly seen as 'TGECMYZ3VK.no.fooapp.iphoneapp'.

Also, when setting the provisioning profile in the build options at the project level, Xcode correctly identifies the app identifier, but when I go to the target, I'm unable to select any valid provisioning profile.

What could be causing this problem?

Update: I've tried to create a new provisioning profile, but still no luck. I also tried simply changing the app identified in Info.plist to just "no.fooapp.iphoneapp". The build succeeds, but now I get an error from the Organizer:

The executable was signed with invalid entitlements. The entitlements specified in your application's Code Signing Entitlements file do not match those specified in your provisioning profile. (0xE8008016).

This seems reasonable, as the provisioning profile still has the "TGECMYZ3VK.no.fooapp.iphoneapp" application identifier.

I also double checked that all certiicates are valid in the Keychain.

So my question is how I can get Xcode to see the correct application identifier?

UPDATE: As noted below, what seems to fix the problem is deleting all provisioning profiles, certificates, etc., making new certificates / profiles and installing them again. If anyone has any other solutions, they would be welcome. :)

16 Answers

Also, make sure that you added a reference to the Entitlement filename "dist.plist" in your project configuration CODE_SIGN_ENTITLEMENTS.

Quick Hack if you are on Xcode 4.3.

In Xcode under Project Settings > MyTarget > Summary tab all the way in the bottom there is a checkbox that says "Enable entitlements". When I unchecked it, it made the error go away.

After being stumped by this for quite a while I revisited the settings and discovered that I had reversed the 'Code Signing Identity' and the 'Any iPhone OS Device' entries. - The clue I had as to this happening was shown by.

  1. Deleting every profile off the phone
  2. Build and Go

At this point xcode attempts to provision the phone (device)

  1. Examine the phone to see which provisioning profile has been added.

As I prefix all my profiles 'AdHoc' or 'Development' or 'AppStore' I saw immediately that the install process was putting a development profile on the device and not an AdHoc profile.

Just to add a note here: I encountered the same error (0xE8008016) after replacing my Macbook's logic board (although I imagine you'd have the same problem on a completely new mac), and after hours of going around in circles I realised that the iPhone Developer Program Portal had separate certificates for Development and Distribution.

A change in hardware means you need to reissue both certificates - I'd reissued Developer but not Distribution. Because my name hadn't changed when my hardware did (and certificates are identified by the owner's name), this made it a tricky problem to spot ;) Hope this saves someone else my frustration.

Related