Git reset --hard and push to remote repository

Viewed 311362

I had a repository that had some bad commits on it (D, E and F for this example).

A-B-C-D-E-F master and origin/master

I've modified the local repository specifically with a git reset --hard. I took a branch before the reset so now I have a repo that looks like:

A-B-C master  
     \ D-E-F old_master

A-B-C-D-E-F origin/master

Now I needed some parts of those bad commits so I cherry picked the bits I needed and made some new commits so now I have the following locally:

A-B-C-G-H master
     \ D-E-F old_master

Now I want to push this state of affairs to the remote repo. However, when I try to do a git push Git politely gives me the brush off:

$ git push origin +master:master --force  
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)  
error: denying non-fast forward refs/heads/master (you should pull first)  
To git@git.example.com:myrepo.git  
! [remote rejected] master -> master (non-fast forward)  
error: failed to push some refs to 'git@git.example.com:myrepo.git'  

How do I get the remote repo to take the current state of the local repo?

5 Answers

For users of GitHub, this worked for me:

  1. In any branch protection rules where you wish to make the change, make sure Allow force pushes is enabled
  2. git reset --hard <full_hash_of_commit_to_reset_to>
  3. git push --force

This will "correct" the branch history on your local machine and the GitHub server, but anyone who has sync'ed this branch with the server since the bad commit will have the history on their local machine. If they have permission to push to the branch directly then these commits will show right back up when they sync.

All everyone else needs to do is the git reset command from above to "correct" the branch on their local machine. Of course they would need to be wary of any local commits made to this branch after the target hash. Cherry pick/backup and reapply those as necessary, but if you are in a protected branch then the number of people who can commit directly to it is likely limited.

Related