How do I add a ToolTip to a control?

Viewed 199932

I would like to display a ToolTip for when the mouse is hovering over a control.

How does one create a tooltip in code, but also in the designer?

6 Answers

I did it this way: Just add the event to any control, set the control's tag, and add a conditional to handle the tooltip for the appropriate control/tag.

private void Info_MouseHover(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
    Control senderObject = sender as Control;
    string hoveredControl = senderObject.Tag.ToString();

    // only instantiate a tooltip if the control's tag contains data
    if (hoveredControl != "")
    {
        ToolTip info = new ToolTip
        {
            AutomaticDelay = 500
        };

        string tooltipMessage = string.Empty;

        // add all conditionals here to modify message based on the tag 
        // of the hovered control
        if (hoveredControl == "save button")
        {
            tooltipMessage = "This button will save stuff.";
        }

        info.SetToolTip(senderObject, tooltipMessage);
    }
}
Related