Draw text in OpenGL ES

Viewed 115971

I'm currently developing a small OpenGL game for the Android platform and I wonder if there's an easy way to render text on top of the rendered frame (like a HUD with the player´s score etc). The text would need to use a custom font also.

I've seen an example using a View as an overlay, but I don't know if I want to do that since I might want to port the game to other platforms later.

Any ideas?

13 Answers

In the OpenGL ES 2.0/3.0 you can also combining OGL View and Android's UI-elements:

public class GameActivity extends AppCompatActivity {
    private SurfaceView surfaceView;
    @Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle state) { 
        setContentView(R.layout.activity_gl);
        surfaceView = findViewById(R.id.oglView);
        surfaceView.init(this.getApplicationContext());
        ...
    } 
}

public class SurfaceView extends GLSurfaceView {
    private SceneRenderer renderer;
    public SurfaceView(Context context) {
        super(context);
    }

    public SurfaceView(Context context, AttributeSet attributes) {
        super(context, attributes);
    }

    public void init(Context context) {
        renderer = new SceneRenderer(context);
        setRenderer(renderer);
        ...
    }
}

Create layout activity_gl.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout
        tools:context=".activities.GameActivity">
    <com.app.SurfaceView
        android:id="@+id/oglView"
        android:layout_width="match_parent"
        android:layout_height="match_parent"/>
    <TextView ... />
    <TextView ... />
    <TextView ... />
</androidx.constraintlayout.widget.ConstraintLayout>

To update elements from the render thread, can use Handler/Looper.

Related