Pass a string by reference in Javascript

Viewed 74006

I want to create a string and pass it by reference such that I can change a single variable and have that propagate to any other object that references it.

Take this example:

function Report(a, b) {
    this.ShowMe = function() { alert(a + " of " + b); }
}

var metric = new String("count");
var a = new Report(metric, "a"); 
var b = new Report(metric, "b"); 
var c = new Report(metric, "c"); 
a.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "count of a";
b.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "count of b";
c.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "count of c";

I want to be able to have this happen:

var metric = new String("count");
var a = new Report(metric, "a"); 
var b = new Report(metric, "b"); 
var c = new Report(metric, "c"); 
a.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "count of a";
metric = new String("avg");
b.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "avg of b";
c.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "avg of c";

Why doesn't this work?

The MDC reference on strings says metric is an object.

I've tried this, which is not what I want, but is very close:

var metric = {toString:function(){ return "count";}};
var a = new Report(metric, "a"); 
var b = new Report(metric, "b"); 
var c = new Report(metric, "c"); 
a.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "count of a";
metric.toString = function(){ return "avg";}; // notice I had to change the function
b.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "avg of b";
c.ShowMe();  // outputs:  "avg of c";

alert(String(metric).charAt(1)); // notice I had to use the String constructor
// I want to be able to call this: 
// metric.charAt(1)

The important points here:

  1. I want to be able to use metric like it's a normal string object
  2. I want each report to reference the same object.
7 Answers

If that string is a property of some object you can send the object and stringKey of the property:

    this.modificationFunction = function(object, stringKey){
      object[stringKey] = object[stringKey] + "bla bla bla";
    }

    myObject.myStringProperty = "She said: ";
    this.modificationFunction(myObject, "myStringProperty"); 
    // myObject.myStringProperty is now "She said: bla bla bla";
Related