Weblogic or JBoss?

Viewed 48537

I am a long time Java developer on JBoss(and Tomcat). In the last year I had to develop over WebLogic and I have to say - I really miss JBoss.

Since my experience with WebLogic is pretty shallow, I am asking the more experienced guys out there: Is there a reason for spending money on WebLogic? Isn't JBoss giving you all that you need?

13 Answers

You need to consider the TCO Total Cost of Ownership

You must take into account these costs when using JBoss:

  • Annual support subscriptions
  • Higher on-going management and administration costs
  • Impact of outages on cost
  • Impact of product’s performance on cost
  • Higher cost for interoperability testing and integration of the disparate OSS projects
  • Complexity and cost of supporting an integrated OSS solution
  • Insurance policy for indemnity protection
  • Cost to support and maintain modified code
  • Extra time and effort to deal with a myriad of open source licenses
Related