jQuery Set Selected Option Using Next

Viewed 155523

How can I, using jQuery, set the "next" item of an already selected item as "selected."

For example, if I have:

<select>
<option value="1" >Number 1</option>
<option value="2" selected="selected">Number 2</option>
<option value="3" >Number 3</option>
<option value="4" >Number 4</option>
</select>

We can see that "Number 2" is selected, and using jQuery, I'd like to set "Number 3" as selected, and remove the selected "attribute" from "Number 2". I'm assuming I need to use the next selector, but I'm not quite sure how to implement.

11 Answers

And if you want to specify select's ID:

$("#nextPageLink").click(function(){
  $('#myselect option:selected').next('option').attr('selected', 'selected');
  $("#myselect").change();
});

If you click on item with id "nextPageLink", next option will be selected and onChange() event will be called. It may look like this:

$("#myselect").change(function(){
  $('#myDivId').load(window.location.pathname,{myvalue:$("select#myselect").val()});
});

OnChange() event uses Ajax to load something into specified div.

window.location.pathname = actual address

OnChange() event is defined because it allowes you to change value not only using netx/prev button, but directly using standard selection. If value is changed, page does somethig automatically.

Related