Pthread mutex assertion error

Viewed 48422

I'm encountering the following error at unpredictable times in a linux-based (arm) communications application:

pthread_mutex_lock.c:82: __pthread_mutex_lock: Assertion `mutex->__data.__owner == 0' failed.

Google turns up a lot of references to that error, but little information that seems relevant to my situation. I was wondering if anyone can give me some ideas about how to troubleshoot this error. Does anyone know of a common cause for this assertion?

Thanks in advance.

8 Answers

Rock solid for 4 days straight. I'm declaring victory on this one. The answer is "stupid user error" (see comments above). A mutex should only be unlocked by the thread that locked it. Thanks for bearing with me.

The quick bit of Googling I've done often blames this on a compiler mis-optimization. A decent summation is here. It might be worth looking at the assembly output to see if gcc is producing the right code.

Either that or you are managing to stomp on the memory used by the pthread library... those sort of problems are rather tricky to find.

I have just fought my way through this one and thought it might help others. In my case the issue occured in a very simple method that locked the mutex, checked a shared variable and then returned. The method is an override of the base class which creates a worker thread.

The problem in this instance was that the base class was creating the thread in the constructor. The thread then started executing and the derived classes implementation of the method was called. Unfortunately the derived class had not yet completed constructing and the mutex in the derived class had uninitialised data as the mutex owner. This made it look like it was actually locked when it wasn't.

The solution is really simple. Add a protected method to the base class called StartThread(). This needs to be called in the derived classes constructor, not from the base class.

Related