How to use a WSDL file to create a WCF service (not make a call)

Viewed 175283

I have an old WSDL file and I want to create a server based on this WSDL file.

The WSDL is generated from a ASMX (I suppose but I am not sure).

How can I achieve this ?


original question where the OP thought he needed to create a client based on the WSDL.

5 Answers

Using svcutil, you can create interfaces and classes (data contracts) from the WSDL.

svcutil your.wsdl (or svcutil your.wsdl /l:vb if you want Visual Basic)

This will create a file called "your.cs" in C# (or "your.vb" in VB.NET) which contains all the necessary items.

Now, you need to create a class "MyService" which will implement the service interface (IServiceInterface) - or the several service interfaces - and this is your server instance.

Now a class by itself doesn't really help yet - you'll need to host the service somewhere. You need to either create your own ServiceHost instance which hosts the service, configure endpoints and so forth - or you can host your service inside IIS.

You could use svcutil.exe to generate client code. This would include the definition of the service contract and any data contracts and fault contracts required.

Then, simply delete the client code: classes that implement the service contracts. You'll then need to implement them yourself, in your service.

Related