How can I have lowercase routes in ASP.NET MVC?

Viewed 57412

How can I have lowercase, plus underscore if possible, routes in ASP.NET MVC? So that I would have /dinners/details/2 call DinnersController.Details(2) and, if possible, /dinners/more_details/2 call DinnersController.MoreDetails(2)?

All this while still using patterns like {controller}/{action}/{id}.

8 Answers

These two tutorials helped when I wanted to do the same thing and work well:

http://www.coderjournal.com/2008/03/force-mvc-route-url-lowercase/ http://goneale.com/2008/12/19/lowercase-route-urls-in-aspnet-mvc/

EDIT: For projects with areas, you need to modify the GetVirtualPath() method:

public override VirtualPathData GetVirtualPath(RequestContext requestContext, RouteValueDictionary values)
{
  var lowerCaseValues = new RouteValueDictionary();

  foreach (var v in values)
  {
    switch (v.Key.ToUpperInvariant())
    {
      case "ACTION":
      case "AREA":
      case "CONTROLLER":
        lowerCaseValues.Add(v.Key, ((string)v.Value).ToLowerInvariant());
        break;
      default:
        lowerCaseValues.Add(v.Key.ToLowerInvariant(), v.Value);
        break;
    }
  }
  return base.GetVirtualPath(requestContext, lowerCaseValues);
}

I found this at Nick Berardi’s Coder Journal, but it did not have information on how to implement the LowercaseRoute class. Hence reposting here with additional information.

First extend the Route class to LowercaseRoute

public class LowercaseRoute : Route
{
    public LowercaseRoute(string url, IRouteHandler routeHandler)
        : base(url, routeHandler) { }
    public LowercaseRoute(string url, RouteValueDictionary defaults, IRouteHandler routeHandler)
        : base(url, defaults, routeHandler) { }
    public LowercaseRoute(string url, RouteValueDictionary defaults, RouteValueDictionary constraints, IRouteHandler routeHandler)
        : base(url, defaults, constraints, routeHandler) { }
    public LowercaseRoute(string url, RouteValueDictionary defaults, RouteValueDictionary constraints, RouteValueDictionary dataTokens, IRouteHandler routeHandler) : base(url, defaults, constraints, dataTokens, routeHandler) { }
    public override VirtualPathData GetVirtualPath(RequestContext requestContext, RouteValueDictionary values)
    {
        VirtualPathData path = base.GetVirtualPath(requestContext, values);

        if (path != null)
            path.VirtualPath = path.VirtualPath.ToLowerInvariant();

        return path;
    }
}

Then modify the RegisterRoutes method of Global.asax.cs

public static void RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes)
{
    routes.IgnoreRoute("{resource}.axd/{*pathInfo}");

    routes.Add(new LowercaseRoute("{controller}/{action}/{id}", 
        new RouteValueDictionary(new { controller = "Home", action = "Index", id = "" }), 
        new MvcRouteHandler()));

    //routes.MapRoute(
    //    "Default",                                              // Route name
    //    "{controller}/{action}/{id}",                           // URL with parameters
    //    new { controller = "Home", action = "Index", id = "" }  // Parameter defaults
    //);
}

I would however like to know a way to use routes.MapRoute...

This actually has two answers:

  1. You can already do this: the route engine does case-insensitive comparison. If you type a lower-case route, it will be routed to the appropriate controller and action.
  2. If you are using controls that generate route links (ActionLink, RouteLink, etc.) they will produce mixed-case links unless you override this default behavior.

You're on your own for the underscores, though...

Could you use the ActionName attribute?

 [ActionName("more_details")]
 public ActionResult MoreDetails(int? page)
 {

 }

I don't think case matters. More_Details, more_DETAILS, mOrE_DeTaILs in the URL all take you to the same Controller Action.

Related