How do I use define_method to create class methods?

Viewed 52053

This is useful if you are trying to create class methods metaprogramatically:

def self.create_methods(method_name)
    # To create instance methods:
    define_method method_name do
      ...
    end

    # To create class methods that refer to the args on create_methods:
    ???
end

My answer to follow...

6 Answers

I prefer using send to call define_method, and I also like to create a metaclass method to access the metaclass:

class Object
  def metaclass
    class << self
      self
    end
  end
end

class MyClass
  # Defines MyClass.my_method
  self.metaclass.send(:define_method, :my_method) do
    ...
  end
end

Derived from: Jay and Why, who also provide ways to make this prettier.

self.create_class_method(method_name)
  (class << self; self; end).instance_eval do
    define_method method_name do
      ...
    end
  end
end

Update: from VR's contribution below; a more concise method (as long as you're only defining one method this way) that is still standalone:

self.create_class_method(method_name)
  (class << self; self; end).send(:define_method, method_name) do
    ...
  end
end

but note that using send() to access private methods like define_method() is not necessarily a good idea (my understanding is that it is going away in Ruby 1.9).

Related