Django admin - inline inlines (or, three model editing at once)

Viewed 30596

I've got a set of models that look like this:

class Page(models.Model):
    title = models.CharField(max_length=255)

class LinkSection(models.Model):
    page = models.ForeignKey(Page)
    title = models.CharField(max_length=255)

class Link(models.Model):
    linksection = models.ForeignKey(LinkSection)
    text = models.CharField(max_length=255)
    url = models.URLField()

and an admin.py that looks like this:

class LinkInline(admin.TabularInline):
    model = Link
class LinkSectionInline(admin.TabularInline):
    model = LinkSection
    inlines = [ LinkInline, ]
class PageAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    inlines = [ LinkSectionInline, ]

My goal is to get an admin interface that lets me edit everything on one page. The end result of this model structure is that things are generated into a view+template that looks more or less like:

<h1>{{page.title}}</h1>
{% for ls in page.linksection_set.objects.all %}
<div>
    <h2>{{ls.title}}</h2>
    <ul>
         {% for l in ls.link_set.objects.all %}
        <li><a href="{{l.url}}">{{l.title}}</a></li>
         {% endfor %}
    </ul>
</div>
{% endfor %}

I know that the inline-in-an-inline trick fails in the Django admin, as I expected. Does anyone know of a way to allow this kind of three level model editing? Thanks in advance.

4 Answers

My recommendation would actually be to change your model. Why not have a ForeignKey in Link to LinkSection? Or, if it's not OneToMany, perhaps a ManyToMany field? The admin interface will generate that for free. Of course, I don't recommend this if links don't logically have anything to do with link sections, but maybe they do? If they don't, please explain what the intended organization is. (For example, is 3 links per section fixed or arbitrary?)

Related