Disabling underscore-to-subscript in Emacs Org-Mode export

Viewed 26090

When I export to PDF via org-mode (C-c C-e d), any words with underscores end up being partially converted to subscript. How can I prevent this from happening?

I found this article on the subject:

Disabling Underscore subscript in Emacs Tex Mode

However, I either wasn't able to figure out the correct elisp or it simply didn't work. Note, I don't want to change any global font options. I only want this fix to apply to tex/latex/org-mode.

I also found this post, though it didn't work either:

disable subscript superscript raise/lower?

7 Answers

You can disable super/subscripting within an org file by adding the following line:

#+OPTIONS: ^:nil

Check the org manual for more options.
The following command inserts a template containing all the options: C-c C-e #

I was able to solve the issue by setting the following variable:

(setq org-export-with-sub-superscripts nil)

Do you want to prevent subscripts in the onscreen display of the source file or in the text of the output PDF? If the latter, then you want

\usepackage{underscore}

It won't break the use of underscores in maths mode, either.

For individual cases, insert a literal underscore this way:

text text one\textunderscore{}two text

In my case any word that contains an underscore is likely to be a variable name or something similar. I just surround it with = or ~ so that it's treated as such. Then it will be exported accordingly.

Related