How do I configure Apache 2 to run Perl CGI scripts?

Viewed 170264

I would like to configure Apache 2 running on Kubuntu to execute Perl CGI scripts. I've tried some steps that I came across by googling, but nothing seems to work.

What is the right way of achieving this?

8 Answers

You'll need to take a look at your Apache error log to see what the "internal server error" is. The four most likely cases, in my experience would be:

  1. The CGI program is in a directory which does not have CGI execution enabled. Solution: Add the ExecCGI option to that directory via either httpd.conf or a .htaccess file.

  2. Apache is only configured to run CGIs from a dedicated cgi-bin directory. Solution: Move the CGI program there or add an AddHandler cgi-script .cgi statement to httpd.conf.

  3. The CGI program is not set as executable. Solution (assuming a *nix-type operating system): chmod +x my_prog.cgi

  4. The CGI program is exiting without sending headers. Solution: Run the program from the command line and verify that a) it actually runs rather than dying with a compile-time error and b) it generates the correct output, which should include, at the very minimum, a Content-Type header and a blank line following the last of its headers.

I'm guessing you've taken a look at mod_perl?

Have you tried the following tutorial?

EDIT: In relation to your posting - perhaps you could include a sample of the code inside your .cgi file. Perhaps even the first few lines?

Related