I'm quite impressed with Amazon's EC2 and EBS services. I wanted to know if it is possible to grow an EBS Volume.
For example: If I have a 50 GB volume and I start to run out of space, can I bump it up to 100 GB when required?
I'm quite impressed with Amazon's EC2 and EBS services. I wanted to know if it is possible to grow an EBS Volume.
For example: If I have a 50 GB volume and I start to run out of space, can I bump it up to 100 GB when required?
You can grow the storage, but it can't be done on the fly. You'll need to take a snapshot of the current block, add a new, larger block and re-attach your snapshot.
There's a simple walkthrough here based on using Amazon's EC2 command line tools
You can't simply 'bump in' more space on the fly if you need it, but you can resize the partition with a snapshot.
Steps do to this:
Look at http://aws.amazon.com/ebs/ - EBS Snapshot:
Snapshots can also be used to instantiate multiple new volumes, expand the size of a volume or move volumes across Availability Zones. When a new volume is created, there is the option to create it based on an existing Amazon S3 snapshot. In that scenario, the new volume begins as an exact replica of the original volume. By optionally specifying a different volume size or a different Availability Zone, this functionality can be used as a way to increase the size of an existing volume or to create duplicate volumes in new Availability Zones. If you choose to use snapshots to resize your volume, you need to be sure your file system or application supports resizing a device.
Use command "diskpart" for Windows OS, have a look here : Use http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415 Following are the steps I followed for a non-root disk (basic not dynamic disk)
Once you have taken a snapshot, dismounted the old EBS volume (say 600GB) and created a larger EBS volume (say 1TB) and mounted this new EBS volume - you would have to let Windows know of the resizing (from 600GB to 1TB) so at command prompt (run as administrator)
diskpart.exe
select disk=9
select volume=Z
extend
[my disk 9,volume labelled Z, was a volume of size 1TB created from an ec2-snapshot of size 600GB - I wanted to resize 600GB to 1TB and so could follow the above steps to do this.]