How do I create an .exe for a Java program?

Viewed 191987

Possible Duplicate:
How can I convert my java program to an .exe file ?

I'd like to create a Windows .exe for a Java program. Previously, I've used JEXECreator for this, but it's not entirely satisfactory because:

  • The executable sometimes works on the machine on which it was created but not on others.
  • The program is commercial; if you use the trial version, it adds a nag screen to your application.

I don't need the generated .exe to work if Java is not installed on the target machine (in fact, I think this is impossible).

Any recommendations?

7 Answers

Launch4j perhaps? Can't say I've used it myself, but it sounds like what you're after.

Most of the programs that convert java applications to .exe files are just wrappers around the program, and the end user will still need the JRE installed to run it. As far as I know there aren't any converters that will make it a native executable from bytecode (There have been attempts, but if any turned out successful you would hear of them by now).

As for wrappers, the best ones i've used (as previously suggested) are:

JSmooth

and

Launch4j

best of luck!

You could try exe4j. This is effectively what we use through its cousin install4j.

If Java is installed on the target machine, there is no need to create an .exe file. A .jar file should be sufficient.

Related