Eclipse error: This project needs to migrate WTP metadata

Viewed 58440

We started a Web Project in Eclipse 3.2 a ways back and we've since upgraded to Eclipse 3.4 but now the Project has the error:

"This project needs to migrate WTP metadata"

We've tried right-clicking and doing the "quick-fix" which is in fact to Migrate WTP Metadata. Unfortunately nothing happens and the error remains.

We can delete that error from the Problems and everything works as it should, however, every time we re-import the project from source control, the error re-appears. Any ideas on how to permanently get rid of this error or how to ACTUALLY migrate WTP metadata?

UPDATE: Everyone, please vote on the answer that works for you rather than adding your own answer that references a previous person's answer.

10 Answers

The above solution works fine but it creeps up again and again. An easier solution is to right click on the concerned project in Eclipse and choose Validate.

For me, none of these worked. The solution for me was deleting the following file while Eclipse was stopped:

/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.projects/myprojectname/.markers

try adding this line in the .project file

<nature>org.eclipse.wst.common.project.facet.core.nature</nature>

Or refer to this discussion: for instance, make sure there is no duplicate entries in .sessions/org.eclipse.wst.common.component


As noted in the comment by larf311, the actual answer in this instance was:

delete the ".settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component" file.

Simple. ;)

Removing the .markers file resolved this issue for me. I would upvote that solution, except that I don't have the "reputation" to do so. :(

Delete the project, and check it out of source control

In the Properties for the project I selected Project Facets. None were selected, but there was a message on the right hand side indicating that Java 1.3 or later needed to be selected. I selected Java 6 and then after closing the Properties window I still had to do a "Validate". The problem finally disappeared.

Related