Regular expression field validation in jQuery

Viewed 300710

In jQuery, is there a function/plugin which I can use to match a given regular expression in a string?

For example, in an email input box, I get an email address, and want to see if it is in the correct format. What jQuery function should I use to see if my validating regular expression matches the input?

I've googled for a solution, but I haven't been able to find anything.

7 Answers

If you wanted to search some elements based on a regex, you can use the filter function. For example, say you wanted to make sure that in all the input boxes, the user has only entered numbers, so let's find all the inputs which don't match and highlight them.

$("input:text")
    .filter(function() {
        return this.value.match(/[^\d]/);
    })
    .addClass("inputError")
;

Of course if it was just something like this, you could use the form validation plugin, but this method could be applied to any sort of elements you like. Another example to show what I mean: Find all the elements whose id matches /[a-z]+_\d+/

$("[id]").filter(function() {
    return this.id.match(/[a-z]+_\d+/);
});

Unless you're looking for something specific, you can already do Regular Expression matching using regular Javascript with strings.

For example, you can do matching using a string by something like this...

var phrase = "This is a phrase";
phrase = phrase.replace(/is/i, "is not");
alert(phrase);

Is there something you're looking for other than just Regular Expression matching in general?

A simple nowadays example:

$('#some_input_id').attr('oninput',
"this.value=this.value.replace(/[^0-9A-Za-z\s_-]/g,'');")

that means all that doesnt match regex becomes nothing , i.e. ''

Related