What is the difference between the different methods of putting JavaScript code in an <a>?

Viewed 53540

I have seen the following methods of putting JavaScript code in an <a> tag:

function DoSomething() { ... return false; }
  1. <a href="javascript:;" onClick="return DoSomething();">link</a>
  2. <a href="javascript:DoSomething();">link</a>
  3. <a href="javascript:void(0);" onClick="return DoSomething();">link</a>
  4. <a href="#" onClick="return DoSomething();">link</a>

I understand the idea of trying to put a valid URL instead of just JavaScript code, just in case the user doesn't have JavaScript enabled. But for the purpose of this discussion, I need to assume JavaScript is enabled (they can't login without it).

I personally like option 2 as it allows you to see what's going to be run–especially useful when debuging where there are parameters being passed to the function. I have used it quite a bit and haven't found browser issues.

I have read that people recommend 4, because it gives the user a real link to follow, but really, # isn't "real". It will go absolutely no where.

Is there one that isn't support or is really bad, when you know the user has JavaScript enabled?

Related question: Href for JavaScript links: “#” or “javascript:void(0)”?.

7 Answers

I quite enjoy Matt Kruse's Javascript Best Practices article. In it, he states that using the href section to execute JavaScript code is a bad idea. Even though you have stated that your users must have JavaScript enabled, there's no reason you can't have a simple HTML page that all your JavaScript links can point to for their href section in the event that someone happens to turn off JavaScript after logging in. I would highly encourage you to still allow this fallback mechanism. Something like this will adhere to "best practices" and accomplish your goal:

<a href="javascript_required.html" onclick="doSomething(); return false;">go</a>

Why would you do this when you can use addEventListener/attachEvent? If there is no href-equivalent, don't use an <a>, use a <button> and style it accordingly.

You forgot another method:

5: <a href="#" id="myLink">Link</a>

With the JavaScript code:

document.getElementById('myLink').onclick = function() {
    // Do stuff.
};

I can't comment on which of the options has the best support or which is semantically the best, but I'll just say that I much prefer this style because it separates your content from your JavaScript code. It keeps all the JavaScript code together, which is much easier to maintain (especially if you are applying this to many links), and you can even put it in an external file which can then be packed to reduce filesize and cached by client browsers.

<a href="#" onClick="DoSomething(); return false;">link</a>

I will do this, or:

<a href="#" id = "Link">link</a>
(document.getElementById("Link")).onclick = function() {
    DoSomething();
    return false;
};

Depending on the situation. For larger apps, the second one is best because then it consolidates your event code.

Method #2 has a syntax error in FF3 and IE7. I prefer methods #1 and #3, because #4 dirty the URI with '#' although causes less typing... Obviously, as noted by other responses, the best solution is separate html from event handling.

Related