Play audio from a stream using C#

Viewed 165724

Is there a way in C# to play audio (for example, MP3) direcly from a System.IO.Stream that for instance was returend from a WebRequest without saving the data temporarily to the disk?


Solution with NAudio

With the help of NAudio 1.3 it is possible to:

  1. Load an MP3 file from a URL into a MemoryStream
  2. Convert MP3 data into wave data after it was completely loaded
  3. Playback the wave data using NAudio's WaveOut class

It would have been nice to be able to even play a half loaded MP3 file, but this seems to be impossible due to the NAudio library design.

And this is the function that will do the work:

    public static void PlayMp3FromUrl(string url)
    {
        using (Stream ms = new MemoryStream())
        {
            using (Stream stream = WebRequest.Create(url)
                .GetResponse().GetResponseStream())
            {
                byte[] buffer = new byte[32768];
                int read;
                while ((read = stream.Read(buffer, 0, buffer.Length)) > 0)
                {
                    ms.Write(buffer, 0, read);
                }
            }

            ms.Position = 0;
            using (WaveStream blockAlignedStream =
                new BlockAlignReductionStream(
                    WaveFormatConversionStream.CreatePcmStream(
                        new Mp3FileReader(ms))))
            {
                using (WaveOut waveOut = new WaveOut(WaveCallbackInfo.FunctionCallback()))
                {
                    waveOut.Init(blockAlignedStream);
                    waveOut.Play();                        
                    while (waveOut.PlaybackState == PlaybackState.Playing )                        
                    {
                        System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(100);
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }
9 Answers

Edit: Answer updated to reflect changes in recent versions of NAudio

It's possible using the NAudio open source .NET audio library I have written. It looks for an ACM codec on your PC to do the conversion. The Mp3FileReader supplied with NAudio currently expects to be able to reposition within the source stream (it builds an index of MP3 frames up front), so it is not appropriate for streaming over the network. However, you can still use the MP3Frame and AcmMp3FrameDecompressor classes in NAudio to decompress streamed MP3 on the fly.

I have posted an article on my blog explaining how to play back an MP3 stream using NAudio. Essentially you have one thread downloading MP3 frames, decompressing them and storing them in a BufferedWaveProvider. Another thread then plays back using the BufferedWaveProvider as an input.

The SoundPlayer class can do this. It looks like all you have to do is set its Stream property to the stream, then call Play.

edit
I don't think it can play MP3 files though; it seems limited to .wav. I'm not certain if there's anything in the framework that can play an MP3 file directly. Everything I find about that involves either using a WMP control or interacting with DirectX.

Bass can do just this. Play from Byte[] in memory or a through file delegates where you return the data, so with that you can play as soon as you have enough data to start the playback..

NAudio wraps the WaveOutXXXX API. I haven't looked at the source, but if NAudio exposes the waveOutWrite() function in a way that doesn't automatically stop playback on each call, then you should be able to do what you really want, which is to start playing the audio stream before you've received all the data.

Using the waveOutWrite() function allows you to "read ahead" and dump smaller chunks of audio into the output queue - Windows will automatically play the chunks seamlessly. Your code would have to take the compressed audio stream and convert it to small chunks of WAV audio on the fly; this part would be really difficult - all the libraries and components I've ever seen do MP3-to-WAV conversion an entire file at a time. Probably your only realistic chance is to do this using WMA instead of MP3, because you can write simple C# wrappers around the multimedia SDK.

I haven't tried it from a WebRequest, but both the Windows Media Player ActiveX and the MediaElement (from WPF) components are capable of playing and buffering MP3 streams.

I use it to play data coming from a SHOUTcast stream and it worked great. However, I'm not sure if it will work in the scenario you propose.

Related