JavaScript curry: what are the practical applications?

Viewed 46420

I don’t think I’ve grokked currying yet. I understand what it does, and how to do it. I just can’t think of a situation I would use it.

Where are you using currying in JavaScript (or where are the main libraries using it)? DOM manipulation or general application development examples welcome.

One of the answers mentions animation. Functions like slideUp, fadeIn take an element as an arguments and are normally a curried function returning the high order function with the default “animation function” built-in. Why is that better than just applying the higher-up function with some defaults?

Are there any drawbacks to using it?

As requested here are some good resources on JavaScript currying:

I’ll add more as they crop up in the comments.


So, according to the answers, currying and partial application in general are convenience techniques.

If you are frequently “refining” a high-level function by calling it with same configuration, you can curry (or use Resig’s partial) the higher-level function to create simple, concise helper methods.

17 Answers

@Hank Gay

In response to EmbiggensTheMind's comment:

I can't think of an instance where currying—by itself—is useful in JavaScript; it is a technique for converting function calls with multiple arguments into chains of function calls with a single argument for each call, but JavaScript supports multiple arguments in a single function call.

In JavaScript—and I assume most other actual languages (not lambda calculus)—it is commonly associated with partial application, though. John Resig explains it better, but the gist is that have some logic that will be applied to two or more arguments, and you only know the value(s) for some of those arguments.

You can use partial application/currying to fix those known values and return a function that only accepts the unknowns, to be invoked later when you actually have the values you wish to pass. This provides a nifty way to avoid repeating yourself when you would have been calling the same JavaScript built-ins over and over with all the same values but one. To steal John's example:

String.prototype.csv = String.prototype.split.partial(/,\s*/);
var results = "John, Resig, Boston".csv();
alert( (results[1] == "Resig") + " The text values were split properly" );

I found functions that resemble python's functools.partial more useful in JavaScript:

function partial(fn) {
  return partialWithScope.apply(this,
    Array.prototype.concat.apply([fn, this],
      Array.prototype.slice.call(arguments, 1)));
}

function partialWithScope(fn, scope) {
  var args = Array.prototype.slice.call(arguments, 2);
  return function() {
    return fn.apply(scope, Array.prototype.concat.apply(args, arguments));
  };
}

Why would you want to use it? A common situation where you want to use this is when you want to bind this in a function to a value:

var callback = partialWithScope(Object.function, obj);

Now when callback is called, this points to obj. This is useful in event situations or to save some space because it usually makes code shorter.

Currying is similar to partial with the difference that the function the currying returns just accepts one argument (as far as I understand that).

Consider filter function. And you want to write a callback for it.

let x = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,11,12,14,15];
let results = x.filter(callback);

Assume want to output only even numbers, so:

let callback = x => x % 2 === 0;

Now imagine we want to implement our callback such that depending on scenario it outputs even numbers which are above some threshold number (such number should be configurable).

We can't easily make such threshold number a parameter to callback function, because filter invokes callback and by default passes it array elements and index.

How would you implement this?

This is a good use case for currying:

let x = [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,11,12,14,15];
let callback = (threshold) => (x) => (x % 2==0 && x > threshold);

let results1 = x.filter(callback(5)); // Even numbers higher than 5
let results2 = x.filter(callback(10)); // Even numbers higher than 10

console.log(results1,results2);

It's no magic or anything... just a pleasant shorthand for anonymous functions.

partial(alert, "FOO!") is equivalent to function(){alert("FOO!");}

partial(Math.max, 0) corresponds to function(x){return Math.max(0, x);}

The calls to partial (MochiKit terminology. I think some other libraries give functions a .curry method which does the same thing) look slightly nicer and less noisy than the anonymous functions.

As for libraries using it, there's always Functional.

When is it useful in JS? Probably the same times it is useful in other modern languages, but the only time I can see myself using it is in conjunction with partial application.

I would say that, most probably, all the animation library in JS are using currying. Rather than having to pass for each call a set of impacted elements and a function, describing how the element should behave, to a higher order function that will ensure all the timing stuff, its generally easier for the customer to release, as public API some function like "slideUp", "fadeIn" that takes only elements as arguments, and that are just some curried function returning the high order function with the default "animation function" built-in.

I agree that at times you would like to get the ball rolling by creating a pseudo-function that will always have the value of the first argument filled in. Fortunately, I came across a brand new JavaScript library called jPaq (http://jpaq.org/) which provides this functionality. The best thing about the library is the fact that you can download your own build which contains only the code that you will need.

Related