I need to upload some data to a server using HTTP PUT in python. From my brief reading of the urllib2 docs, it only does HTTP POST. Is there any way to do an HTTP PUT in python?
I need to upload some data to a server using HTTP PUT in python. From my brief reading of the urllib2 docs, it only does HTTP POST. Is there any way to do an HTTP PUT in python?
import urllib2
opener = urllib2.build_opener(urllib2.HTTPHandler)
request = urllib2.Request('http://example.org', data='your_put_data')
request.add_header('Content-Type', 'your/contenttype')
request.get_method = lambda: 'PUT'
url = opener.open(request)
This was made better in python3 and documented in the stdlib documentation
The urllib.request.Request class gained a method=... parameter in python3.
Some sample usage:
req = urllib.request.Request('https://example.com/', data=b'DATA!', method='PUT')
urllib.request.urlopen(req)
You should have a look at the httplib module. It should let you make whatever sort of HTTP request you want.
I needed to solve this problem too a while back so that I could act as a client for a RESTful API. I settled on httplib2 because it allowed me to send PUT and DELETE in addition to GET and POST. Httplib2 is not part of the standard library but you can easily get it from the cheese shop.
I also recommend httplib2 by Joe Gregario. I use this regularly instead of httplib in the standard lib.
Have you taken a look at put.py? I've used it in the past. You can also just hack up your own request with urllib.
You can of course roll your own with the existing standard libraries at any level from sockets up to tweaking urllib.
http://pycurl.sourceforge.net/
"PyCurl is a Python interface to libcurl."
"libcurl is a free and easy-to-use client-side URL transfer library, ... supports ... HTTP PUT"
"The main drawback with PycURL is that it is a relative thin layer over libcurl without any of those nice Pythonic class hierarchies. This means it has a somewhat steep learning curve unless you are already familiar with libcurl's C API. "
You can use requests.request
import requests
url = "https://www.example/com/some/url/"
payload="{\"param1\": 1, \"param1\": 2}"
headers = {
'Authorization': '....',
'Content-Type': 'application/json'
}
response = requests.request("PUT", url, headers=headers, data=payload)
print(response.text)
A more proper way of doing this with requests would be:
import requests
payload = {'username': 'bob', 'email': 'bob@bob.com'}
try:
response = requests.put(url="http://somedomain.org/endpoint", data=payload)
response.raise_for_status()
except requests.exceptions.RequestException as e:
print(e)
raise
This raises an exception if there is an error in the HTTP PUT request.
urllib3To do that, you will need to manually encode query parameters in the URL.
>>> import urllib3
>>> http = urllib3.PoolManager()
>>> from urllib.parse import urlencode
>>> encoded_args = urlencode({"name":"Zion","salary":"1123","age":"23"})
>>> url = 'http://dummy.restapiexample.com/api/v1/update/15410' + encoded_args
>>> r = http.request('PUT', url)
>>> import json
>>> json.loads(r.data.decode('utf-8'))
{'status': 'success', 'data': [], 'message': 'Successfully! Record has been updated.'}
requests>>> import requests
>>> r = requests.put('https://httpbin.org/put', data = {'key':'value'})
>>> r.status_code
200