How do you overcome the svn 'out of date' error?

Viewed 324090

I've been attempting move a directory structure from one location to another in Subversion, but I get an Item '*' is out of date commit error.

I have the latest version checked out (so far as I can tell). svn st -u turns up no differences other than the mv commands.

31 Answers

I sometimes get this with TortoiseSVN on windows. The solution for me is to svn update the directory, even though there are no revisions to download or update. It does something to the metadata, which magically fixes it.

After trying all the obvious things, and some of the other suggestions here, with no luck whatsoever, a Google search led to this link (link not working anymore) - Subversion says: Your file or directory is probably out-of-date

In a nutshell, the trick is to go to the .svn directory (in the directory that contains the offending file), and delete the "all-wcprops" file.

Worked for me when nothing else did.

I believe this problem is coming from the .svn file. It's either incorrect in the old parent, the new parent or the old one. I would try reverting back to your starting point. Use an export to get a clean copy of the folder. Move the clean copy to the new location, and use an add and delete to do the move. That's manually doing what SVN does, but it might work.

Tried to update the local copy, and revert the item in question, and still got the 'out of date' error. This worked for some reason:

svn update --force /path/to/dir/or/file

Like @Alexander-Klyubin suggests, do the move in the repository. It's also going to be much faster, especially if you have a large amount of data to move, because you won't have to transfer all that data over the network again.

svn mv https://username@server/svn/old/ https://username@server/svn/new/

should work just fine

Perform the move directly in the repository.

Are you moving it using svn mv, or just mv? I think using just mv may cause this issue.

In my case only deleting of the local version and re checkout of fresh copy was a solution.

This happened when I updated a branch of an earlier release with files from the trunk. I used Windows Explorer to copy folders from my trunk checkout folder, and pasted them into my Eclipse view of the release branch checkout folder. Now Windows Explorer was configured not to show "hidden" files starting with ".", so I was oblivious to all the incorrect .svn files being pasted into my release branch checkout folder. Doh!

My solution was to blow away the damaged Eclipse project, check it out again, and then copy the new files in more carefully. I also changed Windows to show "hidden" files.

I just got this error. What I recommend is you first check on your server if the original file is there. Sometimes the changes aren't made in your local folder. If this is your situation, just delete your folder and checkout again.

Related