Comet implementation for ASP.NET?

Viewed 40319

I've been looking at ways to implement gmail-like messaging inside a browser, and arrived at the Comet concept. However, I haven't been able to find a good .NET implementation that allows me to do this within IIS (our application is written in ASP.NET 2.0).

The solutions I found (or could think of, for that matter) require leaving a running thread per user - so that it could return a response to him once he gets a message. This doesn't scale at all, of course.

So my question is - do you know of an ASP.NET implementation for Comet that works in a different way? Is that even possible with IIS?

8 Answers

Comet is challenging to scale with IIS because of comet's persistent connectivity, but there is a team looking at Comet scenarios now. Also look at Aaron Lerch's blog as I believe he's done some early Comet work in ASP.NET.

WebSync is a standards-compliant scalable Comet server that integrates directly into the IIS/.NET pipeline. It's also available on demand as a hosted service.

It officially supports up to 20,000 concurrent client connections per server node, but individual tests have seen it go as high as 50,000. Message throughput is optimal around the 1,000-5,000 concurrent clients mark, with messages delivered as high as 300,000 per second from a single node.

It includes client-side support for JavaScript, .NET/Mono, iOS, Mac OS X, Java, Silverlight, Windows Phone, Windows Runtime, and .NET Compact, with server-side support for .NET/Mono and PHP.

Clustering is supported using either SQL Server or Azure Caching out of the box, but custom providers can be written for just about anything (Redis, NCache).

Disclaimer: I work for the company that develops this product.

You might also look at the Kaazing Enterprise Gateway which has made a production release of their webSocket [HTML5] gateway which supersedes the comet way completely and enables full-duplex connections between browsers & application servers.

You might also look at Light Streamer Demos

I think the Comet approach isn't really scalable unless you are prepared to expand the web farm horizontally (by adding more web servers to the mix). The way it works is that it leaves a TCP connection open per user session, just so the server can push stuff into that connection from time to time to immediately inform the user of a change or activity.

Related