When/Why to use Cascading in SQL Server?

Viewed 108158

When setting up foreign keys in SQL Server, under what circumstances should you have it cascade on delete or update, and what is the reasoning behind it?

This probably applies to other databases as well.

I'm looking most of all for concrete examples of each scenario, preferably from someone who has used them successfully.

16 Answers

Summary of what I've seen so far:

  • Some people don't like cascading at all.

Cascade Delete

  • Cascade Delete may make sense when the semantics of the relationship can involve an exclusive "is part of" description. For example, an OrderLine record is part of its parent order, and OrderLines will never be shared between multiple orders. If the Order were to vanish, the OrderLine should as well, and a line without an Order would be a problem.
  • The canonical example for Cascade Delete is SomeObject and SomeObjectItems, where it doesn't make any sense for an items record to ever exist without a corresponding main record.
  • You should not use Cascade Delete if you are preserving history or using a "soft/logical delete" where you only set a deleted bit column to 1/true.

Cascade Update

  • Cascade Update may make sense when you use a real key rather than a surrogate key (identity/autoincrement column) across tables.
  • The canonical example for Cascade Update is when you have a mutable foreign key, like a username that can be changed.
  • You should not use Cascade Update with keys that are Identity/autoincrement columns.
  • Cascade Update is best used in conjunction with a unique constraint.

When To Use Cascading

  • You may want to get an extra strong confirmation back from the user before allowing an operation to cascade, but it depends on your application.
  • Cascading can get you into trouble if you set up your foreign keys wrong. But you should be okay if you do that right.
  • It's not wise to use cascading before you understand it thoroughly. However, it is a useful feature and therefore worth taking the time to understand.

Foreign keys are the best way to ensure referential integrity of a database. Avoiding cascades due to being magic is like writing everything in assembly because you don't trust the magic behind compilers.

What is bad is the wrong use of foreign keys, like creating them backwards, for example.

Juan Manuel's example is the canonical example, if you use code there are many more chances of leaving spurious DocumentItems in the database that will come and bite you.

Cascading updates are useful, for instance, when you have references to the data by something that can change, say a primary key of a users table is the name,lastname combination. Then you want changes in that combination to propagate to wherever they are referenced.

@Aidan, That clarity you refer to comes at a high cost, the chance of leaving spurious data in your database, which is not small. To me, it's usually just lack of familiarity with the DB and inability to find which FKs are in place before working with the DB that foster that fear. Either that, or constant misuse of cascade, using it where the entities were not conceptually related, or where you have to preserve history.

I never use cascading deletes.

If I want something removed from the database I want to explicitly tell the database what I want taking out.

Of course they are a function available in the database and there may be times when it is okay to use them, for example if you have an 'order' table and an 'orderItem' table you may want to clear the items when you delete an order.

I like the clarity that I get from doing it in code (or stored procedure) rather than 'magic' happening.

For the same reason I am not a fan of triggers either.

Something to notice is that if you do delete an 'order' you will get '1 row affected' report back even if the cascaded delete has removed 50 'orderItem's.

I work a lot with cascading deletes.

It feels good to know whoever works against the database might never leave any unwanted data. If dependencies grow I just change the constraints in the diagramm in Management Studio and I dont have to tweak sp or dataacces.

That said, I have 1 problem with cascading deletes and thats circular references. This often leads to parts of the database that have no cascading deletes.

I do a lot of database work and rarely find cascade deletes useful. The one time I have used them effectively is in a reporting database that is updated by a nightly job. I make sure that any changed data is imported correctly by deleting any top level records that have changed since the last import, then reimport the modified records and anything that relates to them. It save me from having to write a lot of complicated deletes that look from the bottom to the top of my database.

I don't consider cascade deletes to be quite as bad as triggers as they only delete data, triggers can have all kinds of nasty stuff inside.

In general I avoid real Deletes altogether and use logical deletes (ie. having a bit column called isDeleted that gets set to true) instead.

One example is when you have dependencies between entities... ie: Document -> DocumentItems (when you delete Document, DocumentItems don't have a reason to exist)

One reason to put in a cascade delete (rather than doing it in the code) is to improve performance.

Case 1: With a cascade delete

 DELETE FROM table WHERE SomeDate < 7 years ago;

Case 2: Without a cascade delete

 FOR EACH R IN (SELECT FROM table WHERE SomeDate < 7 years ago) LOOP
   DELETE FROM ChildTable WHERE tableId = R.tableId;
   DELETE FROM table WHERE tableId = R.tableid;
   /* More child tables here */
 NEXT

Secondly, when you add in an extra child table with a cascade delete, the code in Case 1 keeps working.

I would only put in a cascade where the semantics of the relationship is "part of". Otherwise some idiot will delete half of your database when you do:

DELETE FROM CURRENCY WHERE CurrencyCode = 'USD'

I try to avoid deletes or updates that I didn't explicitly request in SQL server.

Either through cascading or through the use of triggers. They tend to bite you in the ass some time down the line, either when trying to track down a bug or when diagnosing performance problems.

Where I would use them is in guaranteeing consistency for not very much effort. To get the same effect you would have to use stored procedures.

I, like everyone else here, find that cascade deletes are really only marginally helpful (it's really not that much work to delete referenced data in other tables -- if there are lot of tables, you simply automate this with a script) but really annoying when someone accidentally cascade deletes some important data that is difficult to restore.

The only case where I'd use is if the data in the table table is highly controlled (e.g., limited permissions) and only updated or deleted from through a controlled process (like a software update) that has been verified.

I would make a distinction between

  • Data integrity
  • Business logic/rules

In my experience it is best to enforce integrity as far as possible in the database using PK, FK, and other constraints.

However business rules/logic IMO is best implemented using code for the reason of cohesion (google "coupling and cohesion" to learn more).

Is cascade delete/update data integrity or business rules? This could of course be debated but I would say it is usually a logic/rule. For example a business rule may be that if an Order is deleted all OrderItems should be automatically deleted. But it could also be that it should never be possible to delete an Order if it still have OrderItems. So this may be up to the business to decide. How do we know how this rule is currently implemented? If it is all in code we can just look at the code (high cohesion). If the rule is maybe implemented in the code or maybe implemented as cascade in the database then we need to look in multiple places (low cohesion).

Of course if you go all-in with putting your business rules only in the database and use triggers, stored proc then cascade may make sense.

I usually consider database vendor lock-in before using any stored proc or triggers. A SQL database that just stores data and enforces integrity is IMO easier to port to another vendor. So for that reason I usually don't use stored proc or triggers.

Related