How to document Python code using Doxygen

Viewed 146287

I like Doxygen to create documentation of C or PHP code. I have an upcoming Python project and I think I remember that Python doesn't have /* .. */ comments, and also has its own self-documentation facility which seems to be the pythonic way to document.

Since I'm familiar with Doxygen, how can I use it to produce my Python documentation? Is there anything in particular that I need to be aware of?

5 Answers

The doxypy input filter allows you to use pretty much all of Doxygen's formatting tags in a standard Python docstring format. I use it to document a large mixed C++ and Python game application framework, and it's working well.

This is documented on the doxygen website, but to summarize here:

You can use doxygen to document your Python code. You can either use the Python documentation string syntax:

"""@package docstring
Documentation for this module.

More details.
"""

def func():
    """Documentation for a function.

    More details.
    """
    pass

In which case the comments will be extracted by doxygen, but you won't be able to use any of the special doxygen commands.

Or you can (similar to C-style languages under doxygen) double up the comment marker (#) on the first line before the member:

## @package pyexample
#  Documentation for this module.
#
#  More details.

## Documentation for a function.
#
#  More details.
def func():
    pass

In that case, you can use the special doxygen commands. There's no particular Python output mode, but you can apparently improve the results by setting OPTMIZE_OUTPUT_JAVA to YES.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised at the difference - it seems like once doxygen can detect the comments in ## blocks or """ blocks, most of the work would be done and you'd be able to use the special commands in either case. Maybe they expect people using """ to adhere to more Pythonic documentation practices and that would interfere with the special doxygen commands?

Sphinx is mainly a tool for formatting docs written independently from the source code, as I understand it.

For generating API docs from Python docstrings, the leading tools are pdoc and pydoctor. Here's pydoctor's generated API docs for Twisted and Bazaar.

Of course, if you just want to have a look at the docstrings while you're working on stuff, there's the "pydoc" command line tool and as well as the help() function available in the interactive interpreter.

An other very good documentation tool is sphinx. It will be used for the upcoming python 2.6 documentation and is used by django and a lot of other python projects.

From the sphinx website:

  • Output formats: HTML (including Windows HTML Help) and LaTeX, for printable PDF versions
  • Extensive cross-references: semantic markup and automatic links for functions, classes, glossary terms and similar pieces of information
  • Hierarchical structure: easy definition of a document tree, with automatic links to siblings, parents and children
  • Automatic indices: general index as well as a module index
  • Code handling: automatic highlighting using the Pygments highlighter
  • Extensions: automatic testing of code snippets, inclusion of docstrings from Python modules, and more
Related