What is the best practice of Unicode processing in C++?
is_alpha unless that is the definition you want.string if you care about correctness, always use your unicode library for this.Our company (and others) use the open source Internation Components for Unicode (ICU) library originally developed by Taligent.
It handles strings, locales, conversions, date/times, collation, transformations, et. al.
Start with the ICU Userguide
Here is a checklist for Windows programming:
Look at Case insensitive string comparison in C++
That question has a link to the Microsoft documentation on Unicode: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc194799.aspx
If you look on the left-hand navigation side on MSDN next to that article, you should find a lot of information pertaining to Unicode functions. It is part of a chapter on "Encoding Characters" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc194786.aspx)
It has the following subsections:
Although this may not be best practice for everyone, you can write your own C++ UNICODE routines if you want!
I just finished doing it over a weekend. I learned a lot, though I don't guarantee it's 100% bug free, I did a lot of testing and it seems to work correctly.
My code is under the New BSD license and can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/netwidecc/downloads/list
It is called WSUCONV and comes with a sample main() program that converts between UTF-8, UTF-16, and Standard ASCII. If you throw away the main code, you've got a nice library for reading / writing UNICODE.