When trying to connect to an ORACLE user via TOAD (Quest Software) or any other means (Oracle Enterprise Manager) I get this error:
ORA-011033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
When trying to connect to an ORACLE user via TOAD (Quest Software) or any other means (Oracle Enterprise Manager) I get this error:
ORA-011033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress
After some googling, I found the advice to do the following, and it worked:
SQL> startup mount
ORACLE Instance started
SQL> recover database
Media recovery complete
SQL> alter database open;
Database altered
This error can also occur in the normal situation when a database is starting or stopping. Normally on startup you can wait until the startup completes, then connect as usual. If the error persists, the service (on a Windows box) may be started without the database being started. This may be due to startup issues, or because the service is not configured to automatically start the database. In this case you will have to connect as sysdba and physically start the database using the "startup" command.
I hope this will help somebody, I solved the problem like this
There was a problem because the database was not open. Command startup opens the database.
This you can solve with command alter database open
in some case with alter database open resetlogs
$ sqlplus / sysdba
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.
Total System Global Area 1073741824 bytes
Fixed Size 8628936 bytes
Variable Size 624952632 bytes
Database Buffers 436207616 bytes
Redo Buffers 3952640 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> conn user/pass123
Connected.
I faced the same problem. I restarted the oracle service for that DB instance and the error is gone.
What worked for me is that i hadn't set the local_listener, to see if the local listener is set login to sqlplus / as sysdba, make sure the database is open and run the following command
show parameter local_listener, if the value is empty, then you will have to set the local_listener with the following SQL command ALTER SYSTEM SET LOCAL_LISTENER='<LISTENER_NAME_GOES_HERE>'