Regular expression that matches valid IPv6 addresses

Viewed 243113

I'm having trouble writing a regular expression that matches valid IPv6 addresses, including those in their compressed form (with :: or leading zeros omitted from each byte pair).

Can someone suggest a regular expression that would fulfill the requirement?

I'm considering expanding each byte pair and matching the result with a simpler regex.

30 Answers

The following will validate IPv4, IPv6 (full and compressed), and IPv6v4 (full and compressed) addresses:

'/^(?>(?>([a-f0-9]{1,4})(?>:(?1)){7}|(?!(?:.*[a-f0-9](?>:|$)){8,})((?1)(?>:(?1)){0,6})?::(?2)?)|(?>(?>(?1)(?>:(?1)){5}:|(?!(?:.*[a-f0-9]:){6,})(?3)?::(?>((?1)(?>:(?1)){0,4}):)?)?(25[0-5]|2[0-4][0-9]|1[0-9]{2}|[1-9]?[0-9])(?>\.(?4)){3}))$/iD'

From "IPv6 regex":

(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,1}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,6}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,2}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,5}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,3}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,4}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,4}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,3}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,5}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,2}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,6}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,1}\Z)|
(\A(([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,7}|:):\Z)|
(\A:(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,7}\Z)|
(\A((([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){6})(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3})\Z)|
(\A(([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){5}[0-9a-f]{1,4}:(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3})\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){5}:[0-9a-f]{1,4}:(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,1}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,4}:(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,2}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,3}:(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,3}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,2}:(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3}\Z)|
(\A([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,4}(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,1}:(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3}\Z)|
(\A(([0-9a-f]{1,4}:){1,5}|:):(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3}\Z)|
(\A:(:[0-9a-f]{1,4}){1,5}:(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)(\.(25[0-5]|2[0-4]\d|[0-1]?\d?\d)){3}\Z)

It sounds like you may be using Python. If so, you can use something like this:

import socket

def check_ipv6(n):
    try:
        socket.inet_pton(socket.AF_INET6, n)
        return True
    except socket.error:
        return False

print check_ipv6('::1') # True
print check_ipv6('foo') # False
print check_ipv6(5)     # TypeError exception
print check_ipv6(None)  # TypeError exception

I don't think you have to have IPv6 compiled in to Python to get inet_pton, which can also parse IPv4 addresses if you pass in socket.AF_INET as the first parameter. Note: this may not work on non-Unix systems.

I'd have to strongly second the answer from Frank Krueger.

Whilst you say you need a regular expression to match an IPv6 address, I'm assuming what you really need is to be able to check if a given string is a valid IPv6 address. There is a subtle but important distinction here.

There is more than one way to check if a given string is a valid IPv6 address and regular expression matching is only one solution.

Use an existing library if you can. The library will have fewer bugs and its use will result in less code for you to maintain.

The regular expression suggested by Factor Mystic is long and complex. It most likely works, but you should also consider how you'd cope if it unexpectedly fails. The point I'm trying to make here is that if you can't form a required regular expression yourself you won't be able to easily debug it.

If you have no suitable library it may be better to write your own IPv6 validation routine that doesn't depend on regular expressions. If you write it you understand it and if you understand it you can add comments to explain it so that others can also understand and subsequently maintain it.

Act with caution when using a regular expression whose functionality you can't explain to someone else.

If you use Perl try Net::IPv6Addr

use Net::IPv6Addr;

if( defined Net::IPv6Addr::is_ipv6($ip_address) ){
  print "Looks like an ipv6 address\n";
}

NetAddr::IP

use NetAddr::IP;

my $obj = NetAddr::IP->new6($ip_address);

Validate::IP

use Validate::IP qw'is_ipv6';

if( is_ipv6($ip_address) ){
  print "Looks like an ipv6 address\n";
}

Following regex is for IPv6 only. Group 1 matches with the IP.

(([0-9a-fA-F]{0,4}:){1,7}[0-9a-fA-F]{0,4})

I generated the following using python and works with the re module. The look-ahead assertions ensure that the correct number of dots or colons appear in the address. It does not support IPv4 in IPv6 notation.

pattern = '^(?=\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}$)(?:(?:25[0-5]|[12][0-4][0-9]|1[5-9][0-9]|[1-9]?[0-9])\.?){4}$|(?=^(?:[0-9a-f]{0,4}:){2,7}[0-9a-f]{0,4}$)(?![^:]*::.+::[^:]*$)(?:(?=.*::.*)|(?=\w+:\w+:\w+:\w+:\w+:\w+:\w+:\w+))(?:(?:^|:)(?:[0-9a-f]{4}|[1-9a-f][0-9a-f]{0,3})){0,8}(?:::(?:[0-9a-f]{1,4}(?:$|:)){0,6})?$'
result = re.match(pattern, ip)
if result: result.group(0)

For PHP 5.2+ users filter_var works great.

I know this doesn't answer the original question (specifically a regex solution), but I post this in the hope it may help someone else in the future.

$is_ip4address = (filter_var($ip, FILTER_VALIDATE_IP, FILTER_FLAG_IPV4) !== FALSE);
$is_ip6address = (filter_var($ip, FILTER_VALIDATE_IP, FILTER_FLAG_IPV6) !== FALSE);
Related