How do I monitor the computer's CPU, memory, and disk usage in Java?

Viewed 301208

I would like to monitor the following system information in Java:

  • Current CPU usage** (percent)
  • Available memory* (free/total)
  • Available disk space (free/total)

    *Note that I mean overall memory available to the whole system, not just the JVM.

I'm looking for a cross-platform solution (Linux, Mac, and Windows) that doesn't rely on my own code calling external programs or using JNI. Although these are viable options, I would prefer not to maintain OS-specific code myself if someone already has a better solution.

If there's a free library out there that does this in a reliable, cross-platform manner, that would be great (even if it makes external calls or uses native code itself).

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

To clarify, I would like to get the current CPU usage for the whole system, not just the Java process(es).

The SIGAR API provides all the functionality I'm looking for in one package, so it's the best answer to my question so far. However, due it being licensed under the GPL, I cannot use it for my original purpose (a closed source, commercial product). It's possible that Hyperic may license SIGAR for commercial use, but I haven't looked into it. For my GPL projects, I will definitely consider SIGAR in the future.

For my current needs, I'm leaning towards the following:

  • For CPU usage, OperatingSystemMXBean.getSystemLoadAverage() / OperatingSystemMXBean.getAvailableProcessors() (load average per cpu)
  • For memory, OperatingSystemMXBean.getTotalPhysicalMemorySize() and OperatingSystemMXBean.getFreePhysicalMemorySize()
  • For disk space, File.getTotalSpace() and File.getUsableSpace()

Limitations:

The getSystemLoadAverage() and disk space querying methods are only available under Java 6. Also, some JMX functionality may not be available to all platforms (i.e. it's been reported that getSystemLoadAverage() returns -1 on Windows).

Although originally licensed under GPL, it has been changed to Apache 2.0, which can generally be used for closed source, commercial products.

12 Answers

Along the lines of what I mentioned in this post. I recommend you use the SIGAR API. I use the SIGAR API in one of my own applications and it is great. You'll find it is stable, well supported, and full of useful examples. It is open-source with a GPL 2 Apache 2.0 license. Check it out. I have a feeling it will meet your needs.

Using Java and the Sigar API you can get Memory, CPU, Disk, Load-Average, Network Interface info and metrics, Process Table information, Route info, etc.

The following supposedly gets you CPU and RAM. See ManagementFactory for more details.

import java.lang.management.ManagementFactory;
import java.lang.management.OperatingSystemMXBean;
import java.lang.reflect.Method;
import java.lang.reflect.Modifier;

private static void printUsage() {
  OperatingSystemMXBean operatingSystemMXBean = ManagementFactory.getOperatingSystemMXBean();
  for (Method method : operatingSystemMXBean.getClass().getDeclaredMethods()) {
    method.setAccessible(true);
    if (method.getName().startsWith("get")
        && Modifier.isPublic(method.getModifiers())) {
            Object value;
        try {
            value = method.invoke(operatingSystemMXBean);
        } catch (Exception e) {
            value = e;
        } // try
        System.out.println(method.getName() + " = " + value);
    } // if
  } // for
}

For disk space, if you have Java 6, you can use the getTotalSpace and getFreeSpace methods on File. If you're not on Java 6, I believe you can use Apache Commons IO to get some of the way there.

I don't know of any cross platform way to get CPU usage or Memory usage I'm afraid.

A lot of this is already available via JMX. With Java 5, JMX is built-in and they include a JMX console viewer with the JDK.

You can use JMX to monitor manually, or invoke JMX commands from Java if you need this information in your own run-time.

The following code is Linux (maybe Unix) only, but it works in a real project.

    private double getAverageValueByLinux() throws InterruptedException {
    try {

        long delay = 50;
        List<Double> listValues = new ArrayList<Double>();
        for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
            long cput1 = getCpuT();
            Thread.sleep(delay);
            long cput2 = getCpuT();
            double cpuproc = (1000d * (cput2 - cput1)) / (double) delay;
            listValues.add(cpuproc);
        }
        listValues.remove(0);
        listValues.remove(listValues.size() - 1);
        double sum = 0.0;
        for (Double double1 : listValues) {
            sum += double1;
        }
        return sum / listValues.size();
    } catch (Exception e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
        return 0;
    }

}

private long getCpuT throws FileNotFoundException, IOException {
    BufferedReader reader = new BufferedReader(new FileReader("/proc/stat"));
    String line = reader.readLine();
    Pattern pattern = Pattern.compile("\\D+(\\d+)\\D+(\\d+)\\D+(\\d+)\\D+(\\d+)")
    Matcher m = pattern.matcher(line);

    long cpuUser = 0;
    long cpuSystem = 0;
    if (m.find()) {
        cpuUser = Long.parseLong(m.group(1));
        cpuSystem = Long.parseLong(m.group(3));
    }
    return cpuUser + cpuSystem;
}
    OperatingSystemMXBean osBean = ManagementFactory.getPlatformMXBean(OperatingSystemMXBean.class);
    System.out.println((osBean.getCpuLoad() * 100) + "%");

import com.sun.management.OperatingSystemMXBean

It only starts working after the second call so save the osBean and put it in a loop

Related