Coding magazines

Viewed 29308
19 Answers

The venerable Dr. Dobbs Journal is still pretty good. It covers multiple platforms, and mixes some fairly hard-core technical articles with lighter fare (interviews with notables, a "Developer Diaries" column that profiles regular-Joe (and Jane) developers from a range of fields). If you are employed and have authority to spend some non-trivial amount of money on tools (or are willing to claim that you do), you can probably get them to send it to you for free.

For the Microsoft world, MSDN Magazine is very useful. Some of their columns are excellent, particularly Jeff Richter's Concurrent Affairs.

Dr. Dobbs Journal is a pretty good broad-based programmer's journal. Covers all manner of material.

Game Developer Magazine has lots of very good articles, though as you might expect they tend to skew towards C++.

I like Dr. Dobb's Journal also but the magazine refers the reader to their web site for most of the interesting articles. I have found the Java Developer's Journal very interesting because it contains articles about Java in the context of both web and enterprise applications.

For the Perl crowd, there is of course The Perl Review. And for the German-speaking subset of it, there's the Foo Magazin as well.

VSJ, I find it a great mag :) http://www.vsj.co.uk/

Edit

This is NOT off-topic! It directly relates to programming!

I subscribe to MSDN magazine, it's a bit thinner now than in years past, but for .NET it covers a variety of topics, it's a good way to keep abreast of new Microsoft offerings.

All the content is available online on MSDN, and of course online resources/blogs are a lot more up to date, but sometimes it's nice to have a magazine in your bag for a flight or layover.

I really enjoy IEEE Software because it covers broader issues regarding software engineering.

I like Embedded Systems. Even if you don't program for embedded systems, the software articles are excellent. http://www.embedded.com/

Both the IEEE and ACM put out a number of good computing magazines, which might be of interest depending on your exact interests. I'm a subscriber to both.

The ACM Queue has some hardcore content, dense, but good. I haven't read it in a while though.

Related