Examining Berkeley DB files from the CLI

Viewed 68946

I have a set of Berkeley DB files on my Linux file system that I'd like to examine.

What useful tools exist for getting a quick overview of the contents? I can write Perl scripts that use BDB modules for examining them, but I'm looking for some CLI utility to be able to take a look inside without having to start writing scripts.

9 Answers

As mentioned in the other answers, the db-utils package (db4-utils under RHEL) has some tools. However, db_dump can be unhelpful, since the output is 'bytevalue' format.

For a quick'n'dirty viewer, use python:

me@machine$ python
Python 2.7.3 (default, Sep 26 2013, 20:03:06) 
>>> import dbhash
>>> for k, v in dbhash.open( *<db filename here...>* ).iteritems(): print k, v
...

Note that dbhash is deprecated since python 2.6.

Python 3

from bsddb3 import db
import collections
d = db.DB()
d.open('./file.dat', 'dbname', db.DB_BTREE, db.DB_THREAD | db.DB_RDONLY)
d.keys()
collections.OrderedDict((k, d[k]) for k in d.keys())
Related